Music, lyrics, thoughts, mindless rambling at your fingertips.

Friday, April 6, 2007

Punch Line

I wrote this the beginning of last year after going through a rough patch with someone who had fast became one of my best friends, but the situation was even more complicated than that on all fronts and from both sides. I am not sure I should write about that here right now. Anyway, as always personal pain brings about something creative whether it's rubbish or brilliant.

Punch Line

Love, hate, anger, pain
Seems to be brought by the rain
Generosity starts to eat itself
The more we understand
The less we know ourselves
So here we stand
Naked and true
Testing the limits of what
We thought we knew

Sure there’s a joke here
You, me, and all that scares
Wonder who wrote the punch line
Wasn’t me
Can’t take the punch and feel fine
Maybe you
Cause you hit me hard
Didn’t seem to mind

I hit back after I was bruised
Doesn’t help if I feel used
Walk that line, no wrong motive
Fine with your sweet emotion
Must be wrong
Guess I want more
Tell me what I want
You know my mind more than I
Though I’ve known me my entire life

Now, here we stand
Naked and true
Testing the limits of what
We thought we knew

Take a little rain
Be stronger in the end

4 comments:

Main said...

There are some very strong moments in these lyrics.

Like:
"Who wrote the punch line
wasn't me
can't take the punch and feel fine
Maybe you
Cause you hit me hard
Didn’t seem to mind"

I am not so charmed about the end of the song, though.

Kelly said...

Thanks Main. That's probably my favorite part. The end? As in the last two lines?

Main said...

You are welcome. And yes, those last two lines don't work for me. They sound a little forced somehow. But hey, that is just my opinion. :)

Kelly said...

Well, if this ever works out into something maybe the two lines won't be there anymore. ;)